As Tallahassee enters its second-to-last week of the legislative session, activists from across the state are watching closely as bills that seek to undermine worker’s rights try to move through both chambers. These bills — SB 726, HB 655, & SB 1216 — would destroy our efforts to protect workers from wage theft, as well as Orange County’s efforts to win paid sick-leave, by stripping local control in favor of special interests. (Learn more about Orange County’s fight by visiting the website:HOME RULE HYPOCRITES.)
TOMORROW AFTERNOON, the Senate will be voting on SB 726 and HB 655.
How will these bills affect workers throughout the state?
SB726 *Paid Sick Leave Preemption*
- Bans local government sick leave ordinances.
- Forms an Employer Sponsored Benefits Task Force to evaluate and analyze the effects of statewide preemption.
HB655 *TOTAL PREEMPTION*
- Strips the home rule of local governments by restricting county level ordinances like our newly passed Wage Recovery Ordinance!
- Bans counties from passing living wage ordinances, partner benefits, earned sick time benefits and any other pro-worker ordinance dealing with pay and benefits.
- Sets back years of progress at the local level to help struggling communities lift out of poverty.
READ A POWERFUL TAMPA BAY TIMES EDITORIAL ON THE ISSUE HERE
Call Senator Rob Bradley (R-Alachua) ‘s Tallahassee Office: (850) 487-5007 and ask him to STOP undermining home rule and local democracy. This is no longer about an individual issue, but about a citizen’s right to be represented fairly at every level of government.
Not in Alachua?
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR SENATORS PHONE NUMBER NOW!
Tell your senator: “AS A VOTER IN YOUR DISTRICT, I URGE YOU TO VOTE NO ON SB726 and HB655. THESE BILLS WOULD BE DISASTROUS FOR OUR COMMUNITY. STOP UNDERMINING LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PREVENTING PROTECTION FOR WORKERS.”