Filing a Wage Theft Complaint

There are three main ways to file a wage theft complaint:

1) File a claim with the US- Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division. If you call (904) 359-9292) they can walk you through the steps needed to file a claim. Note that because of a backlog it can take up to 3 months for an investigation to start.

2) You can file in civil court but will need to find a lawyer to represent you. If this issue has affected a lot of people in your workplace you could do a class action suit which will help in finding a lawyer to represent you.

3) The Alachua County Wage Recovery Program can reclaim lost wages but it isn’t going to be fully implemented until January 1st, 2014. You can call the Alahcua County Equal Opportunity Office at (352) 374-5275 or email them at Please see this linked pdf for more information on the program. Note that although you cannot file until January 1st, 2014 you are covered from April 16th, 2013 onward (with the 180 day limitation waved).

However you decide to proceed it is highly recommend that all instances of wage theft are thoroughly documented. Being able to prove that this happened with documentation is critical to using any of these mechanisms.

Please do not hesitate in contacting the Alachua County Wage Theft Task Force at if there is anything else that we can do to help.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s